Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to be a member of IDA to enter the photo contest?No, the contest is open to everyone with the exception of current members of the staff or Board of Directors of the International Dark-Sky Association.
- If I am a professional photographer, can I still submit a photo?Yes
- Can I submit more than one photo?You can submit one photo per category per person.
- If I submitted a photo last year, can I resubmit it?Yes, unless the photo previously won in any of the categories, you can resubmit it.
- Is there a size limit for the file I upload?Yes, 50mb is the limit.
- If there was artificial light present in the photo such as from a nearby building or streetlight, but I did not add it, can I still submit my photo?Yes. We will ask you to confirm that the light was not added by you.
- Can I submit a photo to the International Dark Sky Places category if the place is in the process of being certified?No, only places that are certified as of the date of submission may be submitted to the International Dark Sky Places category.
- How are the ‘Youth’ and ‘Mobile’ categories different from the other categories? For the ‘Youth’ category, you can submit a photo that fits into any of the other categories. However, you must be 17 years of age or younger at the time of submission.
For the ‘Mobile’ category, you can submit a photo that fits into any of the other categories that was taken on a smart phone or a GoPro.
- If I’m submitting to Deep Sky, can I submit a photo taken over multiple nights?Yes, there is an exception to this rule for this category only.
- Can I submit a watermarked image?No, in an effort to keep the judging blind, we do not accept watermarked photos.